Monthly Archives: June 2013

The workbook cannot be opened as it does not contain any visible named items

I got a report from a customer who was having problems opening an Excel spreadsheet in Office Web Apps. They were getting the following error:


When I tried to download it and open it on my desktop in Excel, I got this error:


After that, I’d just sit there with the Excel client open but everything was greyed out. I was thinking that there might not be any way to recover the file, as it was last updated too far back. But fortunately, I poked around the Ribbon bar and found the following option:


When I clicked that, everything showed up!  Whoo-hoo!

This link actually talks about the underlying reason as to why it happened, but I was more interested in mitigating the damage (which Unhide did just fine).

When the Content Query Web Part doesn’t show up…

I ran into an issue where a customer reported that she couldn’t find the Content Query web part (CQWP) in her list of Content Rollup web parts. After a bit of research, I found that the CQWP only appears if you have the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure site collection feature activated.

Once I activated that, the web part appeared as it should. Noted here as I’m sure I’ll forget the next time this happens a year down the road…