InfoPath form publishing and the “SOAP message cannot be parsed” error

This error has been killing me of late. I have a SharePoint 2010 list with a form that’s customized in InfoPath. Admittedly, the list is *very* large… as in over 74000 items. I know… it should be smaller, but that’s another discussion for another time.

The form has always taken a bit of time to publish, and the time has increased as the list has grown. Recently, I made a small change to the form, and it would no longer publish. I started getting the following error – “The SOAP message cannot be parsed”:

image2017012101

I tried a number of methods to “fix” the problem, based on various online posts and blog entries. Most of them recommended changing IIS timeout setting, but that wasn’t solving it this time for us.

Then I found this blog entry: https://spjohnadams.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/soap-message-could-not-be-parsed/

It was this part that was the revelation:

image2017012102

I had one calculated field in the list, and ironically it was one I really wasn’t using. I deleted that field and then republished the form. Not only did it publish, but it did so in about 10 seconds (as opposed to the minutes it used to take).

I would have never thought that a calculated field would have that effect on publishing a form, but there you go.

 

 

 

One response to “InfoPath form publishing and the “SOAP message cannot be parsed” error

  1. Thank you for this! I was having the exact same issue and deleting the calculated field worked like a charm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s