Monthly Archives: March 2014

Posted To SharePoint Permissions 101

Here is a PowerPoint presentation (and associated Word document with slides and text) on SharePoint Permissions 101 that I used for an internal SharePoint User Group meeting last year:

Posted To SharePoint Lists 101

Here is a PowerPoint presentation (and associated Word document with slides and text) on SharePoint Lists 101 that I used for an internal SharePoint User Group meeting last year:

Dealing with the message “The current page has been customized from its template. Revert to template.”

I ran into this particular issue a while back when someone used SharePoint Designer to modify a page based on the default design template.  This is the blog post I found that covered the issue as well as any other:

Sohel ran into the same problem that I did… the two solutions you can use end up having other side effects that aren’t very desirable in many situations. You end up making a fix for this problem message, and then you have to make another fix to fix the side effect, and so on and so on. Pretty soon you’re building a house of cards made up of band-aids over band-aids.

My point here isn’t so much on how to fix this problem. Instead, it’s an observation that at times it’s best to tell the business customer “it’s not worth it to make that modification you wanted.” In my case, they tweaked the page to remove something they “didn’t like”. It wasn’t something that was broken… they just didn’t like that the page used certain wording.

At times I long for the days of large mainframe green screen applications where people had to use what was put in front of them. Application development these days allows everyone to have an opinion of what’s “good” or “bad”, “right” or “wrong”. Unfortunately, all opinions are not created equal, and telling me you showed it to your sister and she didn’t understand it is not a valid reason to get whatever changes you want.

People unable to access documents you’ve uploaded to a Document Library

One of my business customers reported a strange issue. He had two document libraries where there were documents that he could see, but no one else could. I went in, expecting that I could see them since I had administrator access.  There were invisible for me also. Strange…

After doing some research, I found it had to do with uploaded documents that were missing required fields:

Here’s part of the post with the important parts noted:

Here’s the scenario: we have a new SharePoint site with a document library where there are several required columns and one of those fields is a Person field so therefore, it can’t have a default value.  A user uploads multiple documents to the library for the first time and since at least one required column value is missing, all of the new documents enter in a checked out state.  Note that the option to require check out is not enabled.  I’m the Site Collection Administrator and the user tells me that she’s uploaded several documents and wants to be sure she did it correctly so she asks me to check.

 I open the document library and see no documents in the default view I know they are there because we are sitting next to each other at a conference table and I can clearly see all 5 documents in her view on her laptop.  Since I’m the all knowing, all powerful Site Collection Administrator, I would assume that I could see her documents, even if they are checked out to her.  But, guess what?  I can’t.  At least not until I navigate to Document Library Settings, Managed Checked Out Files.  The only way I can see these documents in a list view is if I assume control of the documents and transfer ownership to me.  When I do that, I get to see the documents but, of course, now the user who uploaded them can’t see them until I enter the required column values and check them in.  I tried the same scenario logging in with a System Account, which should trump the Site Collection Admin in terms of privileges, and even the System Account can’t see the documents without digging in to the List Settings for the Document Library.  So, Microsoft, “what were you thinking?”

The problem is that there were two required fields in his document library. When he first uploaded the documents, those required fields were missing. As such, they loaded to the library, but they were in a checked-out state to where only he could see them. If he went into the documents, added the required fields, and then checked in the documents, they were viewable by everyone.

When I’m trying to send an email from a People Picker field value…

This is definitely a “for my own rememory” file…

Occasionally I’ll have a form customized with InfoPath, and it will contain a rule that tries to send an email based on a person’s name entered via a People Picker field. Just dropping the Display Name or the AccountID value doesn’t work to get the mail properly addressed. The following *does* work, however:

concat(substring(AccountId, 8, 6), ““)

The value in our AccountId field starting in position 8 for a length of 6 characters will work for an email name if followed by the @domain name.

This means more to me than it will to any reader, but it’ll save me from having to try and find an example of where I used that rule to make it work…

Ok… enough with this writing and blogging “burnout”…

There are too many things I’m forgetting or not talking about in the SharePoint world, so back to it. 🙂